Email contacts are very important in today’s world. Missing or lost contacts can be a real headache for many people as contacts contain very important phone numbers or other personal information. Hence it is always advised to have a back up of your email contacts stored separately on your PC or any storage medium. Here we tell you how to export your email contacts and save them and import them later in case you have to. You can also use the exported contacts file in a new phone and have all the contacts appear on your phone in an instant too.
View your Contacts in Gmail
- Sign in to the Gmail account in which you want to view your saved contacts.
- Click the grid icon which is present on the top right.
- You will get links to various Google services like Maps, YouTube, Drive etc.
- Scroll down to find Contacts and click on it.
- You will be directed to the Google Contacts page where you can view, edit and find your saved contacts.
- You will also have options to export or import your contacts.
Export contacts from Google Contacts
- On the left pane, you will have an option called Export. Click on it.
- A pop up will be displayed saying that “This preview version of Google Contacts doesn’t support Exporting yet”.
- It will ask if you would like to switch to the older version of Google Contacts or Cancel the operation.
- On clicking the former option it will take you to a new tab with the old version of Google Contacts.
- This version has a familiar look and interfaces similar to Gmail.
- On the top, you will find a button called More. Clicking on it will reveal options like Merge Contacts, Delete Contacts, Import, Exports etc.
- Click on Export option. A pop up will appear.
- You can choose to export either only a certain selected contacts or a group of contacts or all contacts.
- You can also select in which format you want to export your contacts.
- The available formats are Google CSV, Outlook CSV, and vCard format.
- The file will be downloaded in the selected format and you can store it.
Import Contacts into Google Contacts
- Import functionality works in both the Preview and Old version of Google Contacts.
- But in the Preview Contacts version, there is a catch.
- If you are in the Preview Version click the Import option under the More option in the left pane.
- A pop up will appear allowing you to select from where you wish to import contacts.
- The available options are Yahoo Mail, Outlook Mail, AOL, Other Email provider and CSV or vCard file.
- If you select CSV or vCard option you will get a pop up stating that Import is not yet supported in the preview version and you have to switch to the old version to import your contacts.
- You will be directed to the old version of Google Contacts.
- Click the More button at the top and select the Import option from the dropdown list.
- A pop up will appear asking you to upload the CSV or vCard file.
- Browse your Computer for the file and upload it. Click on the Import button. Your contacts will be imported into your Gmail account.